Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Making it Really Real

Today I went wedding dress shopping with my dear friend Elaine.  Its funny, when Dave and I decided to get married, it took me days to realize that I get to go wedding dress shopping, and that I get to fullfill my little girl dreams to dress up like a princess!
The really cool part is that Elaines eldest daughter, Miss A, got to come with us, as she was home sick from school with a tummy ache.  It was amazing how much better she was feeling by the time I got to their house! (wink)  The only thing was that Miss A couldn't tell anyone where we went, since her younger sister would be completely put out with not being included in this shopping expedition.  It was really fun having Miss A there.  She is such a sweetie and had fun feeling like a princess too!


Now, before you get too excited this may or may not be the dress I chose, but I thought it was such a cute picture of Miss A and I that I had to include it!  I have to highly recommend Simply White Bridal for thier selection of affordable, modest wedding dresses.  Heidi made me feel so comfortable and asked alot of great questions before I even got to her house and had pulled out a number of dresses that she had close to my size, and the style I told her I was looking for.  I tried on maybe 6 or 8 dresses, and it was pretty easy; it was either a definite no, there was one dress that was a weak maybe, and the third one I tried on I kept going back to.  We were there about an hour and a half and I walked out with the perfect dress for me!!  I think it helped that I knew very much what I was looking for, and what I did and did not like for my body type.
Trying on wedding dresses today really made it real to me.  I mean, I KNOW that I'm going to marry Dave, but all the plans that we have made so far have been just that, plans.  Very little have actually had tangible results until today.  And a financial investment made as well! 
What was interesting today as well, was realizing how comfortable I am with me.  I gained probably 50 pounds with my MS diagnosis and early days of treatment that I've never been able to shake.  However  the older I get, the more solid I am with not just the shape and squishiness of my body, but who I am and what I want.  I was thrilled to find a dress that made me look and feel pretty, even though I'm not a size 12 anymore.  I'm so happy to have found a man who loves my curves and me, just as I am. I love that I really have come to know me, and am comfortable with me, inside and out.  I'm not sure if it only comes with age, but I think also with the solid relationships I have in my life; my family, my close friends, my work relationships, and of course, my relationship with God and Jesus Christ.  I think that all those things work together to help me to be the best me I can be and hold me to the standards and meet the challenges that I still face in life.  I'm really excited to no longer be traversing this life by myself and to have an eternal companion by my side to work with and love and for all the experiences we get to have together. 
Seems like alot of waxing philosophical about a dress, but it brings out alot of things that I've struggled with and overcome in life.  And I love wearing my little tiara while I write this! Hee Hee!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Awe, so cute! It was really fun & your dress is stunning. You're gonna knock his socks off... literally! lol

    ReplyDelete