Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How did this happen?

I guess I should tell a bit of how this all came to be!
There is much back story and side stories that go along with this miracle that I will definitely have to share, as my brain digests it and then maybe I can put it into words.
So, Dave and I met online,(Insert groan and eye roll here!) through ldslinkup which is a website for single members of my faith.  It is really important to me to marry someone of my faith, as I think it creates such a great foundation for a strong marriage and stable family life. Which is part of the reason why I've been single for so long. The topic of my singleness alone could cover a plethora of blog posts, but, I digress.
We got chatting, then texting, then phoning and skyping like crazy, as we had alot in common, and similar sense of humor and it was just so easy to talk to him.  We knew within a week that we wanted to meet sooner rather than later to see if there was chemistry, and if this long distance thing was worth pursuing.  Its crazy how technology has changed the dating world.  Even since the first time I tried internet dating about 10 years ago, it has changed and gotten better, I think.  The ability to Skype, and actually see and hear the person and their mannerisms changes things considerably. 
So, off I go to New Brunswick for a weekend about 3 weeks after we met.  It is definitely the farthest I've gone for a date, and it was the best 29 hour date I've ever had!  Don't worry, I had all my safety alerts and back up plan in place in case things got wierd!  But it was soooo not wierd!  I got off the plane, walked into the airport, saw him, and we both immediately started smiling!  He gave me a big hug, took my suitcase in his left hand and my hand in his right and it was just as it was supposed to be. 
As I climbed into the truck I met Harley, his four year old black lab, and the joke was that Harley got his first kiss in before Dave did!  Dave, however, didn't wait long, and when we stopped to let the dog(and Leah) have a pee break, we had our first kiss at Petitcodiac Irving Corner! 


I guess we could say our first 'date' was going for chicken nachos at Mexi's, in downtown St John.  Its a totally different world out there!  So many old, refurbished buildings; narrow, hilly streets and a beautiful harborfront.  Its so lovely and reminds me a bit of England, which of course, is the greatest complement I could pay!
I met his mom and dad, and his sister and brothers families that night, which was great.  I felt very welcomed and at home with them and in their ward family at church the next day.
When I left on Sunday, we both had our 'homework' to do.  There is so much to investigate when you want to even consider making such a huge move.  Work, health care, finances, selling/not selling, let alone the actual move.  And we also wanted to spend more time getting to know each other and continue talking about the important life things-work, children, church, finances, homelife, health, extended family- all things we able to cover sooner because of the long distance relationship.  All you do is talk!  Alot!
When I went out again over my reading break a month later, I think we both pretty much knew where we stood with each other and how we wanted things to progress.  It was an amazing thing to see him again and feel excited and calm and peaceful and just know that this was it.  We both knew it, and the week was spent just being together, talking out our plans, and meeting his daughter. 
I have to say, I am so excited to be her stepmother!  'Lady M' is nine years old and just an amazing, open, loving child.  She likes to take care of her dad, and makes a great breakfast!

It was really hard to leave, but much easier than the last time, since we knew that it was only a temporary separation, before we get to be together forever!  Its crazy to think that having known someone for 2 months and actually physically being together a week and a weekend that I could be so certain about such a huge decision.  So many of the major things have just fallen into place for us, which also tells me that this is right. I'm so excited for him to meet my family and friends next month and continue to take the steps towards our wedding and, more importantly, our marriage.  I am a blessed woman!

4 comments:

  1. I've only known you over fb but I LOVED this blog post. I'm so excited for you to make this step. It's wonderful, isn't it, How the Lord works in bringing people together? I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much! Who is this, by the way? :-)

      Delete
  2. That is exactly how my relationship with Ernie was! Long distance, skype, just spending the weekend together and then just knowing! It's such a crazy way to get to know someone but it definitely works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, I can't wait to read more! I also want a picture of lady M(love that nickname) and Harley! So exciting. I used to think that it would take the red sea parting to let me know it was right for me to marry, then the right time and situation presented and it somehow was easy and did not require such a sign after all! This is so fun and exciting!He must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete