Saturday, October 25, 2014

I fulfill a childhood dream with a bosom friend

What I wanted to share tonight was my visit to Prince Edward Island this summer. It has been at the top of my list and it absolutely did not disappoint! I have been an Anne of Green Gables fan for as long as I can remember and visiting there was a dream come true! Luckily for me, I got to take my darling stepdaughter, Lady M, with me, and she was a fantastic tour guide. My first visit to PEI was her tenth. My first impression was the red soil, and the huge potato fields! I just wanted to go digging.


Our first stop was, of course, Green Gables. Which, by the way, was NOT full of Asian tourists, as I had previously been warned. The house was amazing, the grounds beautiful, and my darling girl took me on a walk down Lovers Lane, behind the house.

We saw Annes Bedroom, met the lady herself, and drank a lot of Raspberry Cordial! So yum!


We also visited Avonlea Village, did some fun shopping, had some PEI potato French fries, and spent some time on Cavendish Beach. Which I also recognized from the Anne movies, and was one of the most beautiful, clean, and strangely peaceful beaches, despite the tourists and 30+ Celsius heat. I think Lady M and I could have spent the whole time there and been completely satisfied.


The Day ended with a spontaneous drive down a red dirt road(insert Brooks and Dunn song here) and discovered a plethora of Alberta roses. It was completely symbolic sign again, that I belong in this part of the world.

As we were driving home along the two lane highways, up and down the hills, I was also reminded of England(my favorite place in the world!), if you replaced the fences with hedgerows, the land would look just like England. There is more farmland that I expected and so so many lovely old gabled houses, that were mostly well take care of. The whole island just looks friendly, clean and homey. The local town halls and churches were advertising ceilidh on random nights, that I definitely want to be brave and go to on my next visit! How fun would that be? The absolute best part, of course, was the time spent with my step daughter. Obviously I see less of her, but our relationship is as strong as it ever has been. That has been the greatest, brightest thing that has come out of the whole ordeal with her father. He handled the whole situation with her spectacularly, and that's been a huge blessing to all of us. Her mum has been completely supportive of any time that I want to spent with her. This trip was a brilliant time together, where it got to be crazy stepmother day, instead of evil stepmother day.(which has been an ongoing gag between us) We got to talk, and laugh and just be together in the car ride there and back. I have often asked why God was so clear with me about moving out here, and yet The main reason I moved here, to be married, collapsed so quickly. I have never felt that I should go back west, I know I am supposed to be here. Why? For what? Not so clear. But I have also learned in my life that the reasons for things are rarely clear in the beginning. We have to trust in the process, and have faith that we may see the bigger picture. I know that the longer time passes, the more I have been able to see how I have changed and some of the reasons for trials in my past. I would not be the woman I am today(and I'm pretty ok with who I am) without the things I have experienced, good and bad.


So watch this space for more Maritime adventures with Alberta Prairie Girl! XO Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment